The Maritime Heritage Project
• 17-year-old California not-for-profit dedicated to preserving San Francisco’s shipping history.
• Highly regarded and accessed internationally by educators, researchers, historians, librarians, genealogist, authors, etc.
• Features 400 link-backs from noted organizations such as Library of Congress, U.S. Navy, PBS Online, Librarian’s Index, University of California (Bancroft Library), American Merchant Marine, Wikipedia, CA US GenWeb Project, AfriGeneas, World News Network, Various Maritime Museums (including Italia Maritime)
Ongoing: 32 countries and counting
Illustrator and Photographer:
• Design, build and optimize Websites all of which rank in Google’s top ten (per PRChecker)
San Francisco ChronicleSan Francisco, CA 1972-2002
• Assistant to the Managing Editor, Assistant to Book Editor, Editorial Assistant, Photographer (briefly)
• Executive Director, Season of Sharing Fund and Director-Special Projects (1986-2002): Named and managed the project during which time SOS became the most successful media fundraiser in the U.S. on a per capita basis.
• Great Outdoor Adventure Fair: Three-day environmentally responsible event with a special in-paper section, 100+ exhibitors, 40 adventure speakers, and 25,000 visitors
• Chronicle Fourth of July Waterfront Festival. The Hearst Corporation decided to cancel the event as a budget measure. The mission became to replace funding sources. By working with the Fisherman’s Wharf Merchants Association and the City of San Francisco, the budget was reduced from $700,000 to less than $1,000.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Worcester College, Oxford University, Oxford, England: 19th Century English Literature
- University of California, Berkeley: English Literature, Photography
- College of Marin, Kentfield: English Literature, Computer Science, Desktop Publishing, Illustration
- World Travel: More than 25 countries and dozens of states
- Small Business Association NxLevel Certification
- NAR ePro Marketing Certification
OFFICE SKILLS, SOFTWARE, INTERNET APPLICATIONS
- Microsoft Office Suite: Word, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat
- Web Design: HTML, Dreamweaver, CSS, Site Optimization
- Web Content Development
Awards & Presentations
- Heart of Marin Awards: Nomination for Volunteer of the Year
- California National Photographers Association
- California Book Publishers Association
- Scholastic Award for The Maritime Heritage Project
- Award from the City of San Francisco for public relations and management of The Chronicle Season of Sharing Fund and The Chronicle Fourth of July Waterfront Festival
- Plaques/Awards from Bay Area counties for work with the Season of Sharing Fund.
Proficient in ...
Proven ability to build and optimize web pages to drive traffic for top level rankings on Alexa and Google.
- CS 5.5 Photoshop
Sometimes we are lucky enough to know our lives have been changed, to discard the old and embrace the new and run headlong down an immutable course. It happened to me... on that summer's day when my eyes were opened to the sea.
77 Solano Square
DALevy @ marinestudios.com